I have no shame in telling you that I have been listening to the recently discovered ‘XMAS HITS’ channel, non-stop for the last couple of weeks, breaking out the Christmas bangers, and having a good dance and sing-a-long. In fact my decorations have been up for 2 weeks already. I am the ‘it’s only November’ brigades worst nightmare. But, this year, – who am I kidding – EVERY year, I just get super excited, and my OCD (obsessive Christmas disorder) takes a hold on me a little earlier than is probably socially acceptable. #sorrynotsorry.
Anywho, I thought it might be a nice idea to bring you all a Christmas blog special for the first day of December, in the way of my very most favourite of Christmas songs, perfect to get you into the spirit of the season. And hopefully it will in turn inspire your very own playlist for the festive season! So without further ado, in no particular order, here it is.
- Fairytale of New York – The Pogues ft. Kirsty MacColl .. a must for any Christmas playlist.
- One More Sleep – Leona Lewis .. cheese alert, but totally lovely.
- Warm This Winter – Gabriella Cilmi .. I love this one; makes me want to jump under a big blankie, and get all snuggly and warm.
- Merry Christmas Everyone – Shakin’ Stevens .. as a child, this was always my favourite. From it’s very first line, ‘Snow is falling..’ I’m transported back to 7 year old Lisi, gleefully staring out the window, watching the snow drifting from the sky.
- Shake Up Christmas – Train .. if you’re a fan on the coca-cola Christmas adverts, (come on guys, we all are!) you may well recognise this one.
- Christmas Lights – Coldplay .. Chris Martin.. need I say any more? The guy is a musical genius. And even with the sad undertone of this one, I can’t get enough.
- Underneath The Tree – Kelly Clarkson .. another portion of cheese, please!
- Driving Home for Christmas – Chris Rea .. if like me, you have to do any travelling over Christmas, this is like the theme tune to any Christmas drive.
- Last Christmas – Wham! .. it’s not Christmas without a bit of Cliff.
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas – Michael Bublé .. it wouldn’t feel like Christmas without a healthy portion of Bublé. Hell, I don’t think there even is such a thing as an unhealthy serving of Mr Bublé.
- Where Are You Christmas – Faith Hill .. fans of The Grinch will appreciate this one.
- All I Want For Christmas – Mariah Carey .. I mean, M.C. Stands for Mrs Clause, right?!!
- It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas – Michael Bublé
- Don’t Cry It’s Christmas – David Brent ..if you are a fan of The Office, how can you not have a playlist with this on?! The moment we hear this song on Ricky Gervais’s Brent Movie, Life On The Road, is bound to bring a smile and some festive cheer into your life.
- Let It Snow – Frank Sinatra .. a total classic.
- It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The a Year – Andy Williams .. Though this song has been redone by various artists, this version will always be my fave.
- Santa Baby – Kylie Minogue .. festive, flirty, fun.
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby .. Sometimes the old song are the best.
- Christmas Time (Don’t Let The Bells End) – The Darkness .. the cheese levels on this are pretty high, but oh boy, do we love it?!
- Step Into Christmas – Elton John .. this one makes me want to shake and shimmy, and guaranteed a little boogey from my daughter.
- Do They Know It’s Christmas – Band Aid 20 .. Bob Geldoff did an amazing thing through the years by quite literally bringing hundreds of Artists together, to create a record to send us a reminder that despite the joy we may experience, there are people who are tragically suffering at Christmas time, and we all ought to share a thought for them, and if possible, do our bit to try to make their lives that tiny bit easier this Christmas. Of all the renditions, this is my top pick, purely for the fact it’s sung by all the artists of my era; Chris Martin, Dido, Sugababes, McFly, Dizzie Rascal, Bono, etc, etc, etc.
- My Only Wish This Year – Britney Spears .. CHEESIEST. CHRISTMAS. SONG. EVER. But I’ll be singing along every step of the way.
- Mistletoe – Justin Bieber .. again, ridiculously cheesey, but oh-so-catchy.
- Baby It’s Cold Outside – Michael Bublé & Idina Menzel .. Another classic, but this version wins it for me, firstly because this duo is something pretty special, and secondly, the music video is the sweetest.
- Happy Christmas (War Is Over) – John Lennon & Yoko Ono .. another classic.
- Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer – Jack Johnson .. a childhood favourite bought back to life by the beautiful vocals of Jack Johnson. This rendition is just perfect.
- What Christmas Means To Me – Stevie Wonder .. another Christmas cracker bursting with Christmas cheer.
- Winter Wonderful – Tony Bennett ft. Lady Gaga .. again, a classic, given a little revamp with the assistance of Lady Gaga. I’ve always been a big fan of Gaga, but her vocals in this are a wonderful addition to an already fantastic song.
- Christmas (Baby Please Cone Home) – U2 .. another song that has been adapted by numerous artists, but for me, U2’s rendition has earned its spot on my Christmas playlist.
- Holly Jolly Christmas – Michael Bublé .. another festive cheer packed track.
- Christmas Is All Around – Billy Mack .. Love Actually fans will appreciate this one. In fact I’m not sure I’ve ever encountered a person who has not seen and has not watching Love Actually, so I’m sure this is one we can all appreciate.
And a few alternative Christmas hits
- Walking In The Air – Aled Jones
- A Spaceman Came Travelling – Chris de Burgh
- The Power Of Love – Gabrielle Aplin
- Stay Another Day – East 17
- Never Had A Dream Come True – S Club 7 .. these are all seasonal favourites of mine, but perhaps ones that would necessarily be classified as Christmas songs.
So, there we have it! My Christmas favourites to get me feeling fabulously festive! Loads of these have been covered, remastered etc, but I have just provided my personal favourite versions. If you think my playlist is missing a Christmas must have, do let me know by leaving a comment below! Happy listening everyone, and WISHING YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Lots of love