YAY!! Guys, just incase you didn’t get the memo, or you have not looked on any social media platform today, IT’S PANCAKE DAY!! 🎉
As a kid, I was never bothered about pancake days. Truth be told, I wasn’t a pancake fan, and I didn’t even enjoy pancakes. That was until I became an adult, and started fending for myself. I got into fitness, started supplementing my protein intake, and BOOM, 5 years ago, I discovered the simple beauty, and deliciousness of the protein pancake.. In my humble opinion, a million times tastier than your plane Jane pancakes, and not stacked full of sugar, and fat.. Well, that is until you get onto adding the extras and toppings.. Let’s face it, as much as they are a ‘healthier’ alternative to your typical pancake, if you can’t go mad with your pancake toppings on pancake day, when can you?! It’s like your birthday, there is no such thing as too much cake on your birthday, and damn straight, there is no such thing as too much topping on your pancakes on pancake day!
My Instagram has featured several protein pancake creations over the years, but all of which have featured my 3 staple ingredients, which I am going to share with you! Maybe you fancy something a little different today, or you need to get your protein macros up, (oh boy, this’ll do that for ya). Whatever it is, these pancakes are pretty fabulous, and 5 years down the line, I haven’t tired from them yet!
- 1 banana
- 3 eggs
- 1 serving of protein powder
Okay, so you’re going to need a food mixer/ blender/ smoothie maker for this bit.
- Peel your banana, and put it into a mixing bowl/blender.
- Crack your 3 eggs into the mixing bowl/blender. I separate my eggs, and just use the egg whites. If you are using the whole egg, you will only need 2.
- Pour into the mixing bowl/blender one serving of protein powder. Today’s pancakes were made with Scitec 100% whey, in my favourite flavour; caramel apple. But most protein powders will work just as well for making pancakes.
- Turn on your blender, and mix until consistency is even and smooth.
- Heat your oven ring to high, put a frying pan on the ring, and once hot enough, add the oil of choice. I tend to use coconut oil for extra taste, or a fry light 1kcal oil spray.
- Pour your mixture in to the frying pan, creating a blob about the circumference of a mug. The mixture will spread, but my personal preference is for more small pancakes, rather than one or two big ones; purely so I can have fun layering them.
- Once the mix is setting, and stable enough to do so, (usually about 45 seconds) flip your pancake. You will only need to cook the other side for 30 seconds of so.
- Pop your cooked pancake onto a clean plate.
- Repeat until mixture is all gone.
It really is that simple, and within 10 minutes of starting, you could be sat down munching your way through your stack of a scrummy pancakes. However, if we just left it at that, it wouldn’t be much fun now, would it?! I mean, it is pancake, so if there was ever a call to go overboard, today is probably it..
So, for today’s pancake creations, I added hundreds and thousands on to the pancake mix once in the pan. In the past I’ve also added berries into the mix, or peanut butter, or chocolate chips, or a ton of cinnamon. It’s down to you, and whatever you fancy.
When it comes to topping your pancake, the possibilities are endless! Today I spread delicious Nutella onto my warm pancakes, so each layer was divided with melted chocolatey deliciousness. I then topped the completed stack with light squirt cream, warmed mixed berries, hundreds and thousands, pink and white pearls, sugar stars, and mini marshmallows.
The topping is your chance to get creative, so don’t hold back. Have whatever you fancy! If you want indulgence, why not try some fudge pieces, or even sprinkle a brownie on top of it, and some fudge sauce?! Or maybe you are fancying something a little more fruity, in which case you can keep the ingredients a little more simple, and just top with berries, or create a warm fruit compote or pour lemon dressing on top. As I said before,
the possibilities are endless.
So, however you do it today, enjoy your pancakes! And I hope that you love the three simple ingredients high protein pancakes recipe, as much as I do.
Lots of love